English Literature UPSC Optional Printed Notes By Brilliant Tutorials
The Renaissance; Elizabethan and Jacobean Drama; Metaphysical Poetry; The Epic and the Mock-epic; Neo-classicism; Satire; The Romantic Movement; The Rise of the Novel; The Victorian Age English Literature Notes.
The syllabus consists of two papers, designed to test a first-hand and critical reading of texts prescribed from the following periods in English Literature: Paper 1: 1600-1900 and Paper 2 :
1900–1990. There will be two compulsory questions in each paper : (a) A short-notes question related to the topics for general study, and (b) A critical analysis of UNSEEN passages both in prose and verse.English Literature Notes
1.William Shakespeare : King Lear and The Tempest.
2. John Donne. The following poems :
- Death be not proud.
- The Good Morrow.
- On his Mistress going to bed.
- The Relic.
3.John Milton : Paradise Lost, I, II, IV, IX.
4. Alexander Pope. The Rape of the Lock.
5. William Wordsworth. The following poems.
- Odeon Intimations of Immortality.
- Tintern Abbey.
- Three years she grew.
- She dwelt among untrodden ways.
- Resolution and Independence.
- The World is too much with us.
- Milton, thou shouldst be living at this hour.
- Upon Westminster Bridge.
6. Alfred Tennyson: In Memoriam.
7. Henrik Ibsen: A Doll’s House.
- Jonathan Swift, Gulliver’s Travels.
- Jane Austen. Pride and Prejudice.
- Henry Fielding. Tom Jones.
- Charles Dickens. Hard Times.
- George Eliot. The Mill on the Floss.
- Thomas Hardy. Tess of the d’Urbervilles.
- Mark Twain. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
Modernism; Poets of the Thirties; The stream-of-consciousness Novel; Absurd Drama; Colonialism and Post-Colonialism; Indian Writing in English; Marxist, Psychoanalytical and Feminist
approaches to literature; Post-Modernism.
1.William Butler Yeats. The following poems :
- Easter 1916.
- The Second Coming.
- A Prayer for my daughter.
- Sailing to Byzantium.
- The Tower.
- Among School Children.
- Leda and the Swan.
- Lapis Lazuli.
- The Second Coming.
2. T.S. Eliot. The following poems :
- The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.
- Journey of the Magi.
- Burnt Norton.
3. W.H. Auden. The following poems :
- Musee des Beaux-Arts
- In Memory of W.B. Yeats
- Lay your sleeping head, my love
- The Unknown Citizen
- Mundus Et Infans
- The Shield of Achilles
- September 1, 1939
4. John Osborne: Look Back in Anger.
5. Samuel Beckett. Waiting for Godot.
6. Philip Larkin. The following poems :
- Mr. Bleaney
Top notes and books for UPSC, IAS, Gate, Neet, IIT jee, SSC, bank all government competitive exams and any query you can call us at our customer support Number:9511487072